Monday, January 19, 2015

The Oddity of Dreaming...

    This past weekend I lost a family friend to a long battle with cancer. It sucks. And I'm sad, even though I'm thankful that she is no longer suffering.
    The reason I bring this up is that last night I dreamt of her in the most realistic dream I've had in a very long time.
     Actually, I rarely dream.
     So the fact that I not only dreamt, but envisioned an opportunity to see her again, is, I feel, more than coincidental.
    But I can't help but wonder if I dreamt of her because she was on my mind, or if it was an odd almost supernatural meeting, something beyond explanation. Maybe this is the fantasy writer and movie enthusiast in me, but it was almost like she came to see me to say goodbye.
    The dream was that we were at a nice restaurant, sitting at a table lit by candlelight. Red table cloth, black linens, bone china. We were the only people in the restaurant. She didn't speak. Only I did. And in this one-sided conversation, I had the chance to tell her how much she meant to me and how much she was loved. In the conversation, I had the chance to tell her goodbye, a chance that I didn't have with her while she was here.
     I know it sounds crazy, but as someone who doesn't often dream, to have a dream of such a lucid and realistic nature seems even more odd than believing it was simply coincidence.
     So, what do you think? Are dreams only manifestations of our subconscious, or could they possibly be more? Legend indicates that the veil between the physical and metaphysical, the living and the spirit-world, is most transparent during sleep.
    Maybe she really did just stop in for a visit.
    Or maybe I'm just wishing she did.


Photo Credit: Kohei Nawa
(http://www.designboom.com/art/kohei-nawa-forms-a-cloud-like-landscape-made-of-foam-12-08-2013/)

No comments:

Post a Comment