Saturday, April 30, 2016

Recipe for AMAZING Aussie Bite Dupes!

     A few months ago I went to Costco and they were featuring an oatmealish, energy snack called "Aussie Bites". I'm pretty sure I looped around the aisle like six times to keep sneaking samples. The wonky, sideways glances I was getting from the Cosco worker was well worth it... and a little deserved. Anyway, they were amazing but 1) I don't live near a Costco, 2) They mentioned that only certain Costcos carry them, and 3) I wanted to see if I could make a healthier version and know exactly what I was putting in them. So I found a few recipes online, tinkered with them a bit, and devised my own. And I must say, they are pretty damn awesome. 
     I feel confident that I (maybe with some help from you guys!) could tinker with them to make them even more healthy. I'm thinking of replacing the flour with oat bran and replacing the butter with more coconut oil perhaps? I think those are the least healthy components of the recipe, but I'm working on some solutions. In the meantime, these are still pretty healthy and are incredibly satisfying. Eat them for breakfast with your coffee or crumble them into some yogurt - YEEHAW! So so great. Enjoy and let me know how it goes!




Magical Aussie Bite Dupes

Ingredients: 

1 c wheat or white flour
1 c almond flour
1 c chopped dates
1/2 c flax seed
2/3 c brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbs hot water
1/2 c shredded coconut
1 stick butter
1/2 c coconut oil
1 tsp baking soda
2 c oats


Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. In a mixer affixed with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, coconut oil, and brown sugar. Once creamed, add egg. 
3. In a food processor, chop up dates until they are pretty darn chopped. The food processor may hit a point where all the dates kinda clump up and stop chopping. That should be chopped enough. Then add dates to mixer and mix. 
4. Add flax seeds, coconut, and baking soda. Mix well. 
5. Now start adding the dry ingredients in slowly (about a half cup at a time), starting with the flour (almond and white/wheat), then add in the oats. Add in the hot water as needed while you mix in the dry ingredients to keep it moving. The mixture shouldn't be too wet or too dry. 
6. Spray a cupcake pan with cooking spray. Use a cookie scooper to fill cupcake pan (one scoop per space). 
7. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Take out of the oven and transfer to cooling rack. 

Recipe usually yields 24-36 muffins (depending on scoop size). 

No comments:

Post a Comment