Friday, October 9, 2015

The Mods Take Munchen - Day 1

After a whirlwind of teaching this morning and packing the car with all of my stuff, my dad came to pick me up at the college where I teach so that he could drive me to the airport for my redeye flight to Munich with a connection through Heathrow. I'm afraid to go through Heathrow, because I just may scrap my whole plan of going to Oktoberfest, hop on the tube, and hide somewhere in London (probably Borough Market because I'd have shelter and I wouldn't starve! Mushroom pate for every meal for the rest of my liiiiiiiiife!!!) and never go home. 

At the wine bar at PHL.
::SIGH::The way everyone should fly - DRUNK! 

On the plane on my way to Europe and a little tipsy!
Does like get any better than this!??

Sunrise at Heathrow. I actually feel like my soul has reattached to my body.
Only to leave it behind again. (I'm only being a little melodramatic.)
While in Heathrow, of course I stopped at Fortnam and Mason just to admire all of the pretty things and talk myself out of buying a teabox that I WANT SOOO BADLY, but decided it was too expensive and too cumbersome to carry with me for the whole trip. I guess, I'll have to come back for it another time!
Found my Lufthansa shuttle into the city.
Thank god, my luggage is too damn heavy to traipse it around any further.

I'm greeted at the Marriott with beer and a soft pretzel. Mind you, it's 10am.
Yeah, it's gonna be a good trip.
 So I decide that even though all I want to do is sleep forever, I get dressed (very bundled up, it's windy and cold!) and go for a walk - no a sojourn of about 7 miles. I didn't even know where I was going, just walking around and it was beautiful. Funny story, before leaving the hotel, I asked the concierge if it was a relatively safe area to be walking around by myself. And with the most indignant face/voice a man could muster he practically shouted, "MISS, MUNICH IS THE SAFEST CITY IN THE WORLD!" Really? Umm... based on...??  Well, he certainly believed it so who was I to argue, so off I went!

Home away from home!
They sell exactly the same stuff as home, only like three months later!
(Of course, I had to check!)
50(ish) ft sculture of a very large stalking figure. Odd, but cool.


Back to being a selfie pro!
Actually, a man on a bike stopped to ask if he wanted me to have him take it of me.
What?! How nice! 

MY FIRST (OFFICIAL) GERMAN BEER at the Unversity's Hofbrauhaus! And it was well earned.
I went on a wild excursion and hadn't eaten all day!

DEEEEEELICIOUS!


Btw, this little flat bread pizza might have been the most delicious thing I ate while in Germany!
Couldn't tell you what's on it, only that I dream about it nightly! 

After my tasty beer and snack, I decided to walk home and try to get some sleep before meeting up with Jenny and Ryan (some of Dana's friends who were also coming into Munich earlier than the rest of the crew). Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment