Friday, September 20, 2013

Just Can't Enough - The Globe Take Two - Day 29

     Guess who went back to The Globe?!? IT'S MEEEE! Oh man, such a nerd. I actually didn't go with the intention of going to see another show, not yet at least. I wasn't even aware that there was a show today. Actually, it was such a beautiful day and, between my manuscript deadline and me being sick, I feel like I haven't been out of my apartment all that much and it was making me a little crazy.
     So I decided to go for a walk in Bankside/Southwark because I thought it was so cute when we went the other night. I saw St. Paul's Cathedral again as I got out of the tube. By day it's just as impressive as it is by night. I then walked back over the bridge and was able to take in all of the sights by the light of a very beautiful day under the bluest sky that I've seen in a while.





When I made my way back over to Southwark, I was strolling around and then I saw a queue begin to form around the Globe, which sparked my curiosity. Much to my delight, there was a matinee performance at 2:00 of Midsummer Night's Dream. And yippee, it was only 1:00! What luck! Well, it was lucky with the exception of it being pretty much "sold out". I went to the box office and they said they had a few "yard" tickets available, translation - standing room, which is the entire ground floor of the theater. It was kinda cool to be that close and watch it how the real "audience" did.




    Not only was it fantastic to be able to get to see the show (a show, for the record, I've never seen before), it turned out to be one of the very best performances that I've ever seen. Hands down the best traditional Shakespeare show, without a doubt. (I say "traditional" Shakespeare show, because there will never be a better performance than Alan Cumming in Macbeth. Ever. That was the craziest shit I've ever seen. In a good way.) Anyway, back to Midsummer, the show had me laughing out loud! It was a three hour performance that didn't feel that way at all. The acting was superb, one actor/actress better than the next. It really was incredibly impressive. I am looking forward to going to see it again because, not only do I just want to, but I also felt terrible that Aileen wasn't with me to see it! So we're going to go again soon ANNNND we're going to get tickets to see Macbeth. I have a feeling it won't be no 'Alan Cumming', but if it's half as good as Midsummer, I'll be stoked.
 

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH! You are so lucky! I enjoy reading about all your wonderful adventures! Come back to Pittsburgh soon though! :D

    ReplyDelete