Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spin Class - Not for the faint of heart ... literally!

    As you may have guessed, I have started spin classes as part of my training for the Triathlon Sprint; the course I am looking to do is .3 mile swim, approx. an 11 mile bike course and a 5k run (about 3.2 miles). I know that spinning isn't quite the same as cycling on the road, but it is a good substitute while the temperatures here in PA are in the single digits. Plus, I've never actually cycled before; I mean, I can ride a bike, but as far as distance cycling, I am a complete rookie. Therefore, spin classes and indoor stationary bikes will have to do until I decide to man up and brave the weather (aka buy or rent a cycling bike and muster the nerve to dodge traffic and tackle hilly terrain. Yikes!)
    Actually, I have been enjoying my spin classes. Though I will admit, they are friggin tough and looooong! Normally my goal is to do 30 minutes of cardio majority of the week (at least 3x... but ideally more than that.) These spin classes are 60 minutes of grueling physical exercise, which I'm sure is awesome for my bod and my heart, etc... but is sometimes more of a struggle mentally. I mean, I literally have to FIGHT myself from looking at the clock every 30 seconds. But my method is to focus on the music, which has been pretty good: lots of classic rock and upbeat jams. Sometimes I have to refrain from singing aloud; although tonight, the instructor caught me pantomiming playing the drums and rockin a fierce air guitar solo... yes, all while riding a bike. Well, whatever gets us through, right?
     But in all seriousness, the sense of pride and accomplishment I feel after an intense workout is indescribable, especially when reflecting upon how 90 pounds ago, this would have been damn near impossible. Those are the things that I try to focus on. (I know I said it was air guitar solos, and of course those are important too, haha)... but it's knowing that I am getting stronger mentally and physically with every workout I complete and with every good food choice I make.
     So this is what endorphins feel like?? Me likey! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment