Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Long and Hard Day of Travel - Day 1


(NOTE: I couldn't figure out the internet situation yesterday so I just typed up my post in Word and I'd put it up when I had the internet under control. So this is yesterday's post. - Today's will be up later!)


August 24, 2013:
Let me begin by saying that I cried when I had to leave my dogs. Yup, I’m that girl.
       Ok, that being said, I figured that leaving on a red-eye was going to make this trip a piece of cake. I would just drink a glass of wine, take a Lunesta, and ‘goodnight Irene’, see you in London. But no. The plane was, not only the biggest plane I’ve ever seen, but gave its passengers the smallest amount of room in the history of aviation. Seriously, ridiculous. I finally dozed off and the guy next to me woke me up because he had to pee. Typical. Now I couldn’t fall back asleep. So I’m minding my own business playing Jeopardy on my iPad and all of a sudden a man collapses in the aisle on his way to the bathroom and lands right in front of me (well, to the side of me.) Like no joke. One woman starts calling for help mind you it’s like 3:00am and everyone is sleeping), while I leap out of my chair to do what I can to help. I try to assess if he has a pulse to see if I have to flip him over and start CPR. I thought he had a heart attack or something. AND WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN FOR GOD’S SAKES! Finally, the flight attendant comes and is at his feet while I’m at his head and tells me to help her flip him. Now you have to understand that I am working with about a square foot of space. I couldn’t even wing out my elbows too far because I was knocking them into the seats and people and whatnot.  Needless to say, he came to before we had to start CPR or anything and I was just holding his head in my lap and he was probably like “What is going on? Who the hell are you?!?” Long story short, he was okay. But who could sleep after that?!? Certainly not me. We were lucky we didn’t have to resuscitate me after a scare like that!
      Hence, I didn’t get any sleep. Once in Heathrow I had to reconfigure all of my suitcases so that one fits inside another so that I only had to lug two huge suitcases around as opposed to two big ones and a small one. And my backpack. (Yeah, this girl didn’t pack light.) I was able to get onto the Tube without too much trouble, but navigating the world once out of the Tube as I tried to get to my hotel was HELL ON EARTH. Seriously. It’s only a few blocks away from the station, but that’s if you know where you’re going! What the hell did we do before cell phones and GPS systems? Oh, and did I mention that it was pouring out. Yeah, you should have seen the looks I was getting pushing these two monstrous suitcases through the streets of London while looking like a wet rat. I was sweating, grunting, huffing and puffing. So sexy.
       Well, thank goodness, I finally found my hotel and it’s cute. Nothing to write home about, but it’s sufficient. Just what I need for right now. But better than the room itself is its location. Primo! Once I settled in, I went for a walk and discovered that I already love this city. It’s just so darn cute. And the people are cute. And their accents are cute. And their galoshes are cute.  Everything – CUTE.
      Later on, I brought back some Indian food to my room and chilled out for a bit while watching Harry Potter on my computer. Because what else do you do on your first day living in London but watch Harry Potter?!?! And the finally, I had to talk myself into going to the bar to grab a pint (because I admit, it’s weird going to the bar alone) but I felt like I needed to celebrate my epic day of travel, my arriving safely in the UK, and my upcoming adventures in this awesome city.
       Plus, the bar had free wi-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment