Saturday, August 31, 2013

I'M NOT HOMELESS! YIPPEEEE! - Days 7 & 8

       Thank God, today my prayers were answered. I found a super great flat in a super great neighborhood and thus, I'm not homeless. Which is awesome! And to add to this awesomeness, this fantastic flat was actually referred to me by Agency X, the one I thought screwed me out of my money. So it turns out that they didn't. It ended up working out and now I am officially a resident of London, with a mailing address of my own and all. Best of all, the flat is in a really posh neighborhood between Notting Hill Gate and Bayswater tube stations. It's a short walk to Portobello Market and there are a ton of shops, cafes, and modes of transportation literally a half a block from me. I can't wait to show you all pictures! It's so beautiful and I feel so lucky that I found a place to live, within my budget, that I absolutely LOVE!
      So good news is I have a home away from home.
      Bad news is, I may have to rescind all of those invites I doled out before I left the States... I only have a single bed! I mean, I like to snuggle but I wanted to at least offer you a fair warning!
My glass was A CRAP TON bigger than this one...
and I kept thinking they were calling it "Ass-Balls"
which kinda grossed me out, but then thought was hilarious. 
      On top of that, I've made a few friends too! My friend, Shannon, from PITT contacted me when I had first mentioned the idea of my moving to London and informed me that her cousin, Eric, had recently moved to London as well. She recommended that I get in touch with him and say hello. So I did and we made plans to meet up after his work day on Friday, where he normally goes out with some buddies for happy hour. I met up with them (this was last night) and we had so much fun! The weather is seriously beyond perfect and we hung out at an outdoor bar in the center of the city that full of young people who were celebrating the fact that it was Friday! I drank Aspall's Cider, which is DELICIOUS - and waaaaay more alcoholic than it tastes. Whew. Not so sure I remember the bus ride home.
But it was truly fantastic. Through him I met Jordan (from Winnipeg, Canada) and Stevie (from Glasgow, Scotland). We shared a lot of beers and a lot of laughs!
      They were generous enough to invite me to a BBQ the next day (that was tonight) and we all met over at Eric's where we brought some drinks and he made a FEAST of burgers, grilled chicken (with the most perfect grill marks I've ever seen!), fruit salad, and potatoes au gratin. YUM! My first home cooked meal abroad. I know it doesn't sound like much to have a home cooked meal while away from home, but sometimes, it's JUST what you need. I met a few more friends this evening: James, Lina, and Josh, who were also really great! Turns out Josh and Lina live close by where my new flat is and offered to take me to some of their favorite pubs!
      I don't mean to speak too soon, but things are really working out well. I am truly loving it here and, as I said, I don't know what initially made me want to move to London, it was just a feeling that this was something I needed to do. And I can't tell you how grateful I am that I listened to the hunch.

A perfect end to a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment