Monday, August 26, 2013

Another Action Packed Day - Day 3

      This morning I made it to breakfast, which is progress, but holy cow was I exhausted. I still haven't recovered from the jet-lag and am awake at like 2-5am and then I want to sleep until 11am. But no. I forced myself to wake up with my alarm that was harassing me at 8:15. I ate some 'porridge' and some other oddities like fish and cheese melted on a english muffin type-a-thingy. I met two guys who sat with me at breakfast. Both are students here at the University of London (which is where I am staying until I secure a flat). One is a Masters student in Art Curatorial Studies from Mumbai and the other is a PhD student in Economics from Brazil (who struck an uncanny resemblance to Robert Patinson. He was such a doppleganger that it was almost distracting!) Anyway, they were nice guys and it was a nice way to start the day - even though all of us were clearly exhausted and needed like 6 cups of coffee before we got going!
      I went back to my room, did my school work, as today was my first day of my LAST SEMESTER OF CLASSES FOR MY MFA PROGRAM... SQUEEEE! Therefore, I did all of the work I needed to do for today and then headed out for another day of walking around in the beautiful weather. It was 71 degrees today and beautifully breezy. Just perfect. 
       So I started by returning to The British Museum, but decided to go in and check it out. It is SO expansive that I figure I may need a few visits to cover it all. But I was lucky enough to catch a lecture/tour on Medieval Europe, which happens to be the time period and setting of my novel. I learned so much and can't wait to infuse in some of the details that I learned about the period. Caution: #NERDMOMENT.
This pic was from the day before, the day I didn't go in - but it had the sign so I wanted to put it in.



         Then after milling around the museum a little while longer, I walked to Buckingham Palace. Just for reference, when I had asked two of the security guards at the museum the best way to walk to the Palace they both looked at each other and then at me and said, "You're gonna walk?!? Do you know how far it is? It's best to take a bus. It's gonna take you over an hour to walk it." I told them I didn't mind. I think they thought I was nuts.
       I made my verrrry long way through the theater district and Piccadilly Square, Chinatown and Trafalgar Square, then walked up and down the Mall several times and through St. James Park. 




   





     Then as I was ready to walk home I was hit on (ironically) by a French guy. He asked if he could take me out and I was almost going to say "Eh, why not?" But as he was walking me through the park, he explained that he had been married twice, blah blah blah and then he got a little handsy and I was like "Whoa dude, I have a boyfriend." (Lie.) His response? "Don't you know that what happens in London stays in London?" Ugh, now we know why you're collecting divorcees. Are we serious? And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I didn't go back to Paris. Not that other guys of other nationalities wouldn't say something ridiculous like that, but c'mon. So typical. Anyway so I was like "Peace out dude." And went on my merry way (only after I made sure he went the other way!)
    I then took a bus back to my neighborhood and went for sushi at a place called Yo!Sushi where the food comes out on a conveyor belt and you take it dim-sum style. It was a cool experience. 

         But the best was that I sat next to a man with his little boy who must have been about 5 or 6 years old. And the kid (and the dad of course) had this incredibly fabulous British accent, which made everything the kid said friggin' hilarious. No seriously, I was laughing out loud. 

Here's an example: (Say it outloud in an English accent and it's funnier, trust me.)
     Kid: I want the green one. 
     Dad: No, we had it the last time and it wasn't nice.
     Kid: But dad, I liiiiiiike it. 

Here's another:  
     Dad: Have you had enough to eat?
     Kid: Yes, I'm quite full, thank you. 
(Quite full? Huh? I don't even speak that properly and I'm an English teacher. Mind you, this kid was like 5 YEARS OLD!)

Ok, as I'm typing it back out, I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those "you had to be there" kinda things. But trust me. Super funny. 
     So I guess that's it for today. I'll probably do some more work on my manuscript since that shit's due in 4 days. Oh crap. I'm never gonna get it done. ::CUE PANIC ATTACK:: Maybe it'll be rainy tomorrow so I can get some work done, because if it's sunny and beautiful, I'm screwed!

3 comments:

  1. Dani,
    I cannot tell you how proud I am of you for everything that you have accomplished in the last couple of years and for the adventure you are undertaking now. I lived in London for a month and had the most amazing experiences!! Now reading your blog makes me wish I was back there again.
    I'm sure many people will give you recommendations on what to do but let me know if you need any more. :) Also, it's not in London but I may be able to give you directions to see the street where they FILMED "Privet Drive." My friends from Ascot showed us when we were over there. :)
    Promise me we can get together and catch up when you are back over in the US... Chris and I have bought a house (in Warrington... merely 10 houses from my mother's house!) and I'd love to just sit and see all your pictures!
    I actually have been writing a little crafting blog which has sometimes has large gaps of time between entries... perhaps your travels will inspire me to start crafting some of my memories from studying abroad!
    My site is http://happinessisagoodcraft.blogspot.com if interested.

    Love you lots... have SO much fun!! I'm so excited to read your updates!

    Love always,
    Your dear old friend Michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY MICHELLE! So good to hear from you. Thanks for all the great info and CONGRATS to you and Chris on the house. I can't wait to visit when I get home and we can both reminisce about London and the good old days in Warrington. And I love that you are doing a crafting blog - I'm gonna have to start following! I miss you and am so happy to hear that you are doing well!
    Talk to you soon and thanks for leaving a comment! I think it might the second one I've ever gotten! :) Love you lots too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I actually have a good friend Erin who lives in London with her hubby if you are in need of more contacts! Every time I email her I tell her how jealous I am that she lives there. (sigh). I told Chris NO BABIES until we do a Euro-trip haha. :)

      Cannot wait to catch up!! thanks for following my little crafting blog! Hoping to add a little more this weekend!

      Delete