Wednesday, October 9, 2013

And Then There Were Six... - Day 45

      Bedtime was 2:30am. I woke to see Dana out at 5:30ish. Fell back asleep for a hot second. Then woke at 8:45 to get ready for our last action packed day.
      Bummer that Dana had to leave! We tried to convince her to stay for one more day. But apparently she had to go and be a responsible adult and go to work. Pfft. Being an adult bites!
      So the crew woke up, got ready, and headed out in search of authentic Dutch pancakes (something for which they are known, we hear). We found them at the Pancake House in the center of town, which worked out perfectly because it was only a short walk to 'the letters' and the Van Gogh Museum - the next stops on our tour. 










      The girls then took a paddleboat ride (called canal biking, how funny is that?!?), but in an effort to make things nice and easy and not have people split up, I opted out and walked instead. And when I say 'walked' I mean I did a little walking pub crawl since there are no open container laws. I'd pop into a pub grab a pint to go and then walk til I was finished it and then go get another. We all had planned to meet at the last 'port' on the map in an hour. Let me tell you, I was preeeeetttyyy drunk by the time I got to them. I'm lucky I found the port! Super awesome. 

Lookin' good, girls!

Beer #1

Beer #2 (and gettin' sassy!)
Beer #3 - the size of my head!
Beer #4 (Literally, the size of my head!)
      Then we stopped for some wine and cheese (which was delicious!) and then strolled back through the Red Light District, just to make sure we saw it all! Haha. It's not everyday you see naked ladies in red-lit windows and shady sex shops next to churches and kindergarden centers!  And who knows when we'll be back - we figured we better get our fill now! 
     Finally we settled at dinner at a mexican restaurant. I know, sounds crazy to eat at a mexican restaurant in Amsterdam, but it was pretty good and their margaritas were fantastic. - Notice how the benchmark for eating establishments is the caliber of their alcohol or their cheese. If they have both, it's gold! Sarah, Katie, and I ordered enchiladas that made our mouths burn off. Seriously. I eat spicy food. Love it, can't get enough. And this shit damn near killed me. It was delicious, but a little bit painful. 

Thank god those margaritas were cold and delicious to fight the inferno in our mouths!
   We ended our evening at one more bar where we shared a ton of beer and a ton of laughs. It was a wonderful way to end the trip. Oh dear god, I almost forgot the best part of the night. While walking home from the bar, we stumbled (literally) into the best french fry place EVER. We'd been on a mission for fries since we hear that their fries are another claim to fame, but had very little luck finding a place to get'em. Well, leave it to the drunk American girls to sniff out the best fries in the city! Now THAT was the perfect way to end our trip. 

Uhhh... where did all the french fries go? 

A couple more Koffieverkerd and then BEEEEEERRR!
P.S - The picture below is my ALL TIME FAVORITE PICTURE of Amsterdam. 
What a gem! I wish Katie was in it!


No comments:

Post a Comment