Saturday, October 19, 2013

Au Revoir, Paris - Day 55

My flight is at 6:20 at night so I have all day to enjoy the city. What should I do? I thought about heading up to Montmartre and strolling around there for awhile, but there is seriously NO easy way to get to the Pignalle metro station from where I was in Le Marais. It would take me like three transfers and a crap ton of time to get up there. I mean, I like Monmartre, but I find it to be a little shady in certain spots. It would have been fine during the day, but it just wasn't the best way to spend what little time I had left in the city. Instead, I decided to stroll around Le Marais a bit a visit the Centre Georges Pompidou area. I love the fountain there. Very cool. Very modern.





I then made my way back through the Latin Quarter to head over to Saint Germaine des Pres. 

Le Fountaine de Saint Michael

I stumbled into a Literary Exhibit hosted by Livre de Poche.
Pretty neat to see all these famous works translated into French. 

Another famous literary haunt by some of the greatest writers and artists of the 1920s -
Intellectuals such as Simone de Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre, Hemingway, Camus, Picasso and Joyce. 
And across the street is Le Cafe de Flore, the main rival of Les Deux Magots.
It is one of the oldest and most prestigious coffeehouses in Paris and
 it too is celebrated for hosting most of the French intellectuals during the post- war years. 
I looked at dining at both of them, but neither has creme brulee! Can you believe that!?! Yeah, me either! So I strolled a few more blocks down the road in search of one of my favorite French treats. 
Last stop was a cute cafe where I sat outside and ate a creme brulee before heading back to the flat.
It was JUST as delicious as it looked! My favorite is cracking the sugar on top. I'm such a kid. 
     Finally, I went back to my flat, gathered my belongings and headed to the Rambuteau metro to take it to Les Halles to catch the RER to Charles de Gaulle Airport. 
     Sadly, my trip had to come to a close, but I had such a fantastic time, it's almost hard to describe. I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to get back, but I certainly hope that it's not another 10 years before I do. 
     Au revoir, Paris. Et a bientot!




No comments:

Post a Comment